- bone-in pork shoulder/butt, usually 4-5 lbs
- apple cider vinegar
- apple juice
- Lillie’s Q Gold
- Lillie's Q Q-Rub
- Lillie's Q Carolina Dirt
- Lillie's Q Carolina Barbeque Sauce (or your favorite Lillie's Q Sauce)
SHOP FOR RECIPE PRODUCT BUNDLE
- Trim all fat, including fat cap, from pork shoulder.
- Season entire pork shoulder with Q-Rub (somewhat heavily) - let sit 5 minutes. Brush pork with a thin layer of Lillie’s Q Gold sauce.
- Season all sides with Carolina Dirt (you don’t want it caked on, but enough so that you don’t see the gold sauce). Smoke at 250 degrees for 3-4 hours, spraying with apple cider vinegar every 30 minutes.
- When internal temperature reaches 150 degrees, remove from smoker, place on a baking rack in an aluminum pan. Pour a thin layer, roughly 1/4 inch, of apple juice inside the pan.
- Next, cover the pan with a double layer of aluminum foil. Important: make sure foil is slightly tented so that there is no contact between the foil and the pork shoulder. Place pork shoulder back in smoker at 250 degrees. Continue to smoke until pork reaches an internal temperature of 197 degrees, roughly 3 hours.
- With the smoker still at 250, unwrap pork, remove from pan and place on smoker rack.Preserve juices from aluminum pan. Glaze with Lillie’s Q Carolina every 15 minutes, for the last hour. Pull pork from smoker and allow to rest for 30-45 minutes.
- Place pork shoulder in a serving pan and pull the pork. Pour reserved juices over pulled pork and gently mix to distribute. Serve and enjoy!