- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/2 gallon hot water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1/2 gallon ice
- 12-15 pound turkey (giblets removed, neck reserved for gravy)
- Lillies Q-Rub
DIRECTIONS: THE BRINE
1. In a large mixing bowl combine the first three ingredients with 1/2 gallon of the hottest water you can get form your kitchen sink.
2. Add sugar and salt. Mix until fully dissolved. Add 1/2 gallon of ice to the mixing bowl.
3. Place turkey in a fridge-friendly container and pour brine over turkey.
4. Brine until ready to cook (ideally overnight).
DIRECTIONS: THE TURKEY (SMOKED)
1. Truss the turkey.
2. Sprinkle turkey with Lillie's Q-Rub until well coated.
3. Smoke at 250 degrees in a turkey pan until desired brown color is reached (roughly 2-3 hours).
4. Cover turkey with aluminum foil and continue to cook until thermometer reads 155 degrees when inserted in thigh (start checking at the 5 hour mark).
5. Allow turkey to rest for 30 minutes tented with foil before carving.
DIRECTIONS: THE TURKEY (ROASTED)
1. Follow steps 1-2 from above, then place in a roasting pan. Roast at 425 degrees for 15 min.
2. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and roast until thermometer reads 155 degrees when inserted in thigh (start checking at the 4 hour mark).